Saturday, March 30, 2013

Here
Threads of Life
Weekend Writing Warriors 30 March 2013

Again I am writing of my great grandparents, August Schumann and Auguste Freimann Schumann. This time it is written in the voice of Auguste.

"It has been one year since my children died. At first, I did not want another, but when Emma gave her to August and he placed her at my breast, I knew the joy of a new birth. We named her Emma, for the sister of August who was there at the time of birth. We are so thankful for the parents of August, for Ludwig being the leader of this colony. It was he who did the prayers when we buried the children and comforted us in the days that followed. Life is so hard here, but being surrounded by family helps us all to endure. August has been my rock; he is so strong. Sometimes he, I, and Emma go to visit the graves of our other children."


To find other Weekend Writing Warriors, click HERE

16 comments:

  1. Sad, but all too true in those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have our own trials now. I wonder how I could have survived their trials, but family gave each other the strength in difficult times.

      Delete
  2. They really got their strength from each other. Very candid post, Carol. Well done! :-) Happy Easter :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they endured more by being together, than they ever could have alone.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine how hard it would be to start your family again after tragedy took the first children you loved. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to read. You have said exactly what I felt.

      Delete
  4. Such a big and merciless thing life is. Admirable, how they find strength in each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family rescued each other during difficult times. I also admire their being together.

      Delete
  5. Heartbreaking and joyful at the same time. Very well done, conveying those feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Finding joy in the midst of suffering gives us a lot of strength.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad they had little Emma. She won't replace the others, but she will bring them some joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma is appearing at a critical time. The pain is still there, but it hasn't managed to harden the heart yet.

      Delete
  7. It must be heartbreaking to lose a child, and it would be impossible not to think about at the birth of another. Delicately done and touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to lose one child is one thing, but then another and another. So much is beyond control, both death and birth. Learning to roll with the punches seems to be a great skill.

      Delete
  8. A touching moment and glad to see this one survived! I love the way you are being so creative with your family's history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was difficult to write this time. Distant family members had already arrived at my home for Easter. I was deep in preparation so taking the time to do this was certainly deliberate. I so very much appreciate the comments which you all leave.

    ReplyDelete